Skip to main content

Networked Professional

At college in my final year, we all as third year students are represented by Bird College Agency.  We also had lessons from the agent to help us build and work on our portfolio and professional career. The agency and college is it give us slot of support by inviting so many experienced professionals to talk to us about the industry, who are already working and outside companies to audition us for jobs. All those invitations, helps us to start building up some connections for the future and taste a little bit of the "outside world". 
At the sometime during that period, the college invited many different dancers and choreographers to teach or for different events. One of the choreographers, he had his own company that helped deaf people to dance and listening to the music differently. For example, because he is deaf, he knows how to helps other people. He can feel the vibration from the ground from the speakers in the class and he finds the lyrics from the songs on his phone so he can make a story with his choreography. That day I was so amazed by him; I will never forget him. Personally, I learnt that if you want do something, you will find a way, no matter how hard it is and if you can't reach it but you will get close to it if you believe you can.



In classes you meet people that are in so many different jobs and they never stop working; the same in workshops and especially in auditions. Personally I need to start communicating with people and make an conscious effort to find some connections. I found it really difficult because I am not that kind of person that will start talking to people for no reason but as a dancer your career to solely based on who you know and how well you connect with others . In my opinion, at classes and workshop is easer to meet people. In auditions its more strict, you can't really talk and have to be professional at all times. In classes you can choose which choreographers do you like or if he/she is very well known from the jobs they acquire not only that but whether you feel you will develop stylistically by attending these classes. Also sometimes agencies are watching those classes and spot people and on rare occasions, you end up working with them. 
At the auditions, there are more chances for choreographers or producers to remember you than classes because you go there for a job and they are actually auditioning and actively looking for artist which they feel is right for the job. For example, a producer watches you throughout the audition and he really likes but you are not suitable for that kind of job. If he/she happens to see you again in another audition or a year later and see how much you've progressed, they have more of a chance to get the job than the last time he/she saw you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Networking

Spotlight Spotlight was founded in 1927 and is the UK's largest casting resource. Over 60,000 performers appear in Spotlight, including actors and actresses, child artist, presenters, dancers, and stunt artist. Thousands of production companies, broadcasters, ad agencies , and independent casting directors use Spotlight as a casting resource. Their clients range from large organisations such as the BBC, ITV, and Channel 4, to small production companies and individual casting directors. I used this website, last year because my college advised us to make an account to help us find future auditions even if we've left. I haven't used it that many times during my time at college purely because I had my college agency to sending me all the important auditions. Spotlight is a great and very successful system but I don't feel like it benefited me because in reality it's so much easier to have an agent than just this. Another reason is, you have pay every year to keep y

Part 1: Professional Communication Technologies

                                                 Types of communication There are many types of communications in our lives to help you to get people to know you, what can you do, what have you done and also what's your future plans. I am always trying my best to look good on my professional life but it's not easy. You need to have experience and learn from them. My types of communication are the most common ones for my type of professional life. It takes the time to prepare your material for the auditions that you want to show or sometimes they ask what they want to see. I don't like spending to much time to prepare my self because it really stressing me out and it makes me stopping from doing my best but at the same time I know what I'm doing. There ar two ways of professional communication in the auditions. The first way to communicate is non-verbal. For example actively listening all the direction that you've been given and show In your body language/dance

Task 3a - Current networks

  Professional Networking is important for our career because we can get jobs just from knowing someone from working together previously on a job for example. Esp, cially dancers who are trying to stay fit, they do this by joining different courses and dance workshops and at the same time they are meeting people who are already outside working in the industry and have experience teaching you or dancing next to you. It’s important to know how to communicate with people you are working with because someday they will help you find a job which can change your career completely. Most of the people who book jobs are seen and known by casting directors, not because they have more talent than let's say other trained dancers. Also you can use the online communication without the development of web 2.0 the use of online networking. As an artist and human, I am trying to keep my personal and professional networks separate because is keeps thing more professional, as both are really impo