Skip to main content

Professional Networking

Spotlight

Spotlight was founded in 1927 and is the UK's largest casting resource. Over 60,000 performers appear in Spotlight, including actors and actresses, child artist, presenters, dancers, and stunt artist. Thousands of production companies, broadcasters, ad agencies , and independent casting directors use Spotlight as a casting resource. Their clients range from large organisations such as the BBC, ITV, and Channel 4, to small production companies and individual casting directors.

I used this website, last year because my college advised us to make an account to help us find future auditions even if we've left. I haven't used it that many times during my time at college purely because I had my college agency to sending me all the important auditions. Spotlight is a great and very successful system but I don't feel like it benefited me because in reality it's so much easier to have an agent than just this. Another reason is, you have pay every year to keep your account activated and it is quite expensive. Personally, the only good thing for this website is that if any director or any other agencies has got interest in you, they can go to you spotlight account and see you CV to have a look at your background before they contact you.


Facebook-hustle job page

Facebook for dancers and performers is another great way to network and commicate. In particular 'The Hustle page' is a page were most choreographers, casting directors, photographers etc are based and come together to create and share job opportunities for young or old dancers on Facebook. This site was very useful to me as I was always up to date on the current job



Classes

Going dance classes is not just keeping you fit but also gives you the chance to network and meet people. So many professionals go to different classes like, ballet, contemporary, commercial, tap etc. but most of them, including myself, we are going to the same classes every week. Going to more and different classes you will meet more people from the industry. Also agencies some times are watching in the classes or someone is doing a dance video and they really like you, they can ask you for a job. 

Comments

  1. Hey Prodromos
    I particularly like your reference to Facebook as a social platform for performers as I benefit from time to time off The Hustle too on a wide spectrum of things.
    Eleanor Byrne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1: Professional Communication Technologies

                                                 Types of communication There are many types of communications in our lives to help you to get people to know you, what can you do, what have you done and also what's your future plans. I am always trying my best to look good on my professional life but it's not easy. You need to have experience and learn from them. My types of communication are the most common ones for my type of professional life. It takes the time to prepare your material for the auditions that you want to show or sometimes they ask what they want to see. I don't like spending to much time to prepare my self because it really stressing me out and it makes me stopping from doing my best but at the same time I know what I'm doing. There ar two ways of professional communication in the auditions. The first way to communicate is non-verbal. For example actively listening all the direction that you've been given and show In your body language/dance

Task 3a - Current networks

  Professional Networking is important for our career because we can get jobs just from knowing someone from working together previously on a job for example. Esp, cially dancers who are trying to stay fit, they do this by joining different courses and dance workshops and at the same time they are meeting people who are already outside working in the industry and have experience teaching you or dancing next to you. It’s important to know how to communicate with people you are working with because someday they will help you find a job which can change your career completely. Most of the people who book jobs are seen and known by casting directors, not because they have more talent than let's say other trained dancers. Also you can use the online communication without the development of web 2.0 the use of online networking. As an artist and human, I am trying to keep my personal and professional networks separate because is keeps thing more professional, as both are really impo